Thank you so much for visiting A Splash of Sass! I hope you'll click through to my new blog for more style photos and posts!
See you at Closet 12!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Move It, Move It!

I haven't posted a Day of Truth entry since last week.  I've been too busy dealing with the truth of moving to a new apartment.  Even if I'd had internet access or the time to sit at Starbucks and write, I was too exhausted.

Although I'd had some things already packed, Thursday was when we really started to get going.  Thursday night, The Roommate went and bought some new, super soft towels (that I plan on reviewing soon) and I got a few kitchen boxes packed.  The Writer  then came by to pick me up for the midnight showing of Fast Five.  The Writer is also a car guy and the Fast and Furious movies are a guilty pleasure of mine.  After the movie, I went home and slept for about two hours, then did my best to catch the highlights of Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding.  I didn't do such a great job at that.  I dosed for a bit more, then officially woke up for Moving Day 1.

We'd originally been told that we'd get the keys to our new place Saturday (May 1), but The Roommate forked over another day's rent to get in early, since she'd committed to going to a wedding from Friday night through Sunday. Don't get me started on how much that thrilled me.  We packed all morning, then went to pick up the keys at 1pm.  The new place is so nice and much homier than our old condo.  Once our third roommate moved to England a few months ago, the three bedroom, three story condo was just too much for two people.  Not to mention that it had begun to really show its age and our old landlord wasn't quick to do routine maintenance  on the place.  Our new apartment had undergone plenty of renovations after the last tenant moved out and we were excited about the new fridge and stove as well as the brand new carpet and shower tile.  It was so clean!  We moved a lot of boxes that day, since I'd reserved a UHaul for Saturday to get the big stuff.  Even though a lot of stuff was new and the apartment was pretty clean, I still wanted to wipe everything down and put drawer liners in.  My mom wonderfully did a lot of the cleaning at the old apartment, since she can't lift heavy boxes.

Saturday, my dad and I picked up my UHaul and got all of the big furniture loaded.  Six and a half carloads plus one truck and I was moved. Or, my stuff was. I still had to unpack the rest of it.  We'd gotten most of the kitchen done Friday, but a lot had to happen Saturday and Sunday.  The Writer arrived just in time to unpack the really heavy stuff.  He'd been scheduled to work and couldn't get out of it.  I'm so glad my parents were around to help, otherwise I'd have been all alone!

It's amazing how many things you end up needing to buy when you move.  I felt that way when I moved last year, since I was moving from what was essentially dorm living, even if it wasn't a dorm, to a full-sized condo.  This time, we're looking to add the little stuff that we hadn't bothered with in the condo.  It's getting expensive, but it'll be worth it.  I'm still trying to save where I can, and I'm not replacing anything that I can still use with the exception of bath towels.  Heck, we didn't even have a real kitchen trashcan in the old place!

I spent yesterday unpacking and am pretty satisfied with the kitchen, my walk-in closet (that I love!) and the living room.  I'm still exhausted, though, and the unpacking isn't finished.  I'm hoping to have all but decorating finished by this weekend so that I can finally relax!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...