Thank you so much for visiting A Splash of Sass! I hope you'll click through to my new blog for more style photos and posts!
See you at Closet 12!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!

And eat cake, we did! Birthday cake, that is.

This weekend was The Writer's birthday.  I couldn't risk spoiling any of his surprises by posting them and I wanted photos, so I had to wait to share. The waiting is over!


The fact that I made a cake wasn't too surprising, but what was inside the cake was! It must be the cars, but he's a fan of the black and white checkerboard pattern.  Until this past semester, he carried a checkered Dickies messenger bag.  I saw a checkerboard cake kit online and knew it was perfect for him.  It wasn't the easiest or quickest project, but I think it turned out pretty well.
His next surprise was also the biggest one. I could hardly wait to give him this t-shirt.  Several months ago when we were in Florida, he saw a girl wearing a t-shirt with The Catcher in the Rye cover art on it and almost had a heart attack.  The Writer loves that book and it's cover art.  I accidentally found one online, thanks to StumbleUpon and Out of Print Clothing.  Out of Print Clothing donates a book to Books for Africa for every t-shirt they sell, which is pretty awesome.
 For dinner, I took him to Steak on a Stone, a really unique restaurant a few towns away.  They bring you your steak raw and you cook it yourself on an extremely hot volcanic rock that fits into the plate.  I'm not a steak eater, obviously, but it was definitely a fun experience for a carnivore like him.
Even though it wasn't my birthday, it was still one of the most fun days I've had in a while.  It was so relaxing to spend time together, walk in the park, and just generally enjoy ourselves.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...