Thank you so much for visiting A Splash of Sass! I hope you'll click through to my new blog for more style photos and posts!
See you at Closet 12!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 3: Something You Have to Forgive Yourself For


In the movie version of the musical Rent, the character of Mimi sings one of my favorite few lines:

The heart may freeze
Or it can burn
The pain will ease
If I can learn

There is no future
There is no past
I live each moment
As my last

There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret 
Or life is yours to miss

I relate to this because I try my best to live without regret.  Not that I never do anything wrong, oh no, I make wrong decisions, I hurt people's feelings, I spend unwisely.  Most of the time, I realize my fault and try to make it better.  I make an honest effort.  It doesn't always, or even usually, turn things back to the way they used to be, but I have to let them go.

I have to forgive myself every day.

So, when thinking back, I don't feel like there's anything in particular that I still need to forgive myself for.  Everything that I've done in the past has made me who I am today. I can't change things that happened even a second ago, so why waste energy dwelling on the wrong that may have come from them?  Prolonged regret is a useless feeling.  Learning from the lessons of a negative experience will do much more to shape you into a healthy and wise individual than sitting on your couch with a box of Kleenex's feeling sorry about what you could've, should've, or would've done.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...