Thank you so much for visiting A Splash of Sass! I hope you'll click through to my new blog for more style photos and posts!
See you at Closet 12!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 2: Something You Love About Yourself

More than one person has called me crazy over the years.  Wait! Keep reading! I know you must be thinking that this girl has to be crazy if being crazy is something that she loves about herself. I'm usually called such things while someone is rolling on the floor laughing.

I love making people laugh. I love that I CAN make people laugh.

I think the first time someone told me I was funny was in first grade.  Actually, they told me I used to be funny, and asked what had happened to me.  It was a very deep conversation for first graders.  My early years in school did a number on me. I was an only child suddenly in the midst of a HUGE group of my peers everyday for eight hours.  I entered first grade after being home-schooled in Kindergarten, already knowing how to read (this was unusual).  These things made me a little bit of a loner, but I'm over it.

In high school and college, I got to explore my more dramatic side through art and theatre.  It must have been then that the quirkiness started to come back out in me.  I even joined an improv comedy troupe for a few months.  People said I was good and the group begged me to stay, but the social implications and general sucky-ness of the other members sent me on my way. Shallow? Maybe, but the past is the past and I probably thought tequila was a good idea at the time, too.

I think one of the most important qualities when evaluating whether or not someone is a good fit to your life is whether or not they can make you laugh.  All of my bestest friends and I do this.  The Writer makes me cry with laughter and he laughs too.  I love all of it.  I love saying those outrageous things that people don't expect. I love not taking myself too seriously (most of the time) because people screwing up is funny.  And, let's face it, we've all pulled on the door when all it needed was a push, or tried to go in the automatic exit door at the grocery store, only to realize it was the exit seconds before you ran right into it.  *sheepishly raises hand*

If you can laugh at yourself, others will laugh with you.  Laughter really is the best medicine!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...