Thank you so much for visiting A Splash of Sass! I hope you'll click through to my new blog for more style photos and posts!
See you at Closet 12!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Second Hand Score!

Last weekend, I was out with a friend during the monthly "First Friday" event downtown.  One of my professors had a film exhibit at one of the galleries, which all stay open late on the first Friday of every month, hence the name.  Every month has a different theme and its usually a pretty fun thing to get out and go to.

This month, we noticed a new store and stopped in.  I had just started watching Breakfast at Tiffany's that morning, so the set of 1960's style champagne glasses in the window of this consignment shop caught my eye.  I picked them up for only $5, figuring that even if I didn't want to drink milk out of them a la Holly Golightly, they'd make pretty containers for earrings or rings.

When I was checking out, the cashier got me to enter my name in a drawing.  Never thinking I'd win, I gave her my name, phone number, and email, assuming I'd just get junk emails from them for the rest of my life.  Well, I haven't gotten a single email, but they did call me yesterday to tell me that I was the winner of a $25 gift certificate!  This morning, The Writer and I went down their main shop, which is in a different part of town, right after drinking mimosas out of the new champagne glasses.  They have a huge selection of some pretty cool stuff as well as some typical second hand eccentricities.

I found a soft gray J. Crew wool cardigan and a Talbots cotton blouse to use my gift certificate on.  Neither retailer is within my usual budget as far as clothes go, so I was pretty excited to score some quality items for virtually free.  Even if I hadn't had my gift certificate, the more expensive of the two was only $15.  Wow! The cardigan is so soft and has a unique twisting detail to it that is really flattering, I think.  I can't wait to wear them to work.







Also in shopping this week, I was lured into Marshall's by a commercial.  Some things were ok, and had they had my size in the few pairs of shoes that I liked, I might have bought something, but in general it was a big pile of polyester kitsch.  I never thought I'd say this, but I like the thrift store better.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...