Thank you so much for visiting A Splash of Sass! I hope you'll click through to my new blog for more style photos and posts!
See you at Closet 12!

Monday, January 9, 2012

Project #1!

One of my gifts from my parents this Christmas was a dress form.  Its basically an adjustable mannequin and slightly creepy to come home to sometimes, but I'm really glad to have it.  You see, its very hard to make your own clothes when you don't have anything to fit them too, other than yourself.  Since pins hurt and I'm determined to let out my creativity more in 2012, a dress form is key.  It also motivates me to workout, since I have a duplicate of myself standing in my living room and I can't say its measurements thrill me at the moment.

Another reason for wanting a dress form is that I really want to learn draping.  Since there are gaps between the panels once I adjusted it, I covered it with an old band t-shirt which I fitted with pins.  It looks like it should work pretty well, I just have to work up the courage to do some free-form designs.

I started my first project of the new year tonight.  I may have only gotten as far as cutting out the pattern, but hopefully soon it will be a dress that I can wear to work.  If I don't have to pick up any more supplies, the dress will only have cost about $30.  Compared to the price tags on dresses at my favorite stores, its definitely a bargain!
My new dress, in its infancy

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...