Thank you so much for visiting A Splash of Sass! I hope you'll click through to my new blog for more style photos and posts!
See you at Closet 12!

Monday, January 23, 2012

The Opposite of A Spree: An Experiment

One of my resolutions this year, as it is every year, is to pay down my debt.  I realize that my student loan debt is going to take more than 12 months to payoff, unfortunately. The petty debt, though, the debt thats most likely to hurt my credit? I want that out of here.  I increased my all my payments, even some to the student loans, as of the first of this year. I've been proud of myself for committing and having the end in sight.

The hitch is that I may be a little overcommitted.  I don't want to be putting so much of my cash toward debt that I'm using credit and getting back into debt with everyday purchases.  Finding a balance is tough and I don't want to cut back on my payments if I don't have to, so I've made the following resolution:

Aside from bills, gas, groceries (which will come from Aldi and only Aldi), and a Valentine's gift for The Writer (my one and only splurge, he deserves it) I will not spend any money in the month of February.

No clothes, not even the clearance racks. No shoes, unless I use my DSW gift cards. No nail polish. No lunches out.  No candy. No yummy bottled green tea. Nothing that I've been wasting money on in the past will be bought this month.  Ugh. I already feel tortured.

While February will probably be more severe than is always necessary, I want to see how much I can save.  I want to see exactly how much I spend that I don't need to.  I have a budget that gets stuck to pretty closely, but I have a feeling that the little on-the-go purchases amount to more than I expect.  In fact, if I add up all my little purchases that could've been avoided by remembering to bring enough food or my water bottle to work and my few splurges from my girl's day earlier this month, I could've saved almost $200!! Unbelievable!

I'm so doing this!  Hopefully, I will even help myself on my diet and exercise resolution, since delicious takeout macaroni and cheese and General Tso's will be far from reach for 28+ days.

1 comment:

Fashion Addict said...

I think it's great that you're trying to take control of your debt without having to go into further debt on regular purchases! I know you'll be able to do this, even if it may be hard! :)
http://style.fashionaddictgirl.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...