Thank you so much for visiting A Splash of Sass! I hope you'll click through to my new blog for more style photos and posts!
See you at Closet 12!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The 411 on the 3-1-1

I am strictly against the idea of checking luggage when flying, at least for myself.  I know I'm a chronic over-packer, so the carry-on only rule helps me narrow down my selection.  It also saves me from having to wait for my luggage to arrive at baggage claim and subsequently having to drag a giant suitcase to my final destination when traveling alone.  There's also almost no risk of the airline loosing your luggage if you don't let them man-handle it.

One of the only problems that comes with flying with carry-on luggage only is the TSA's 3-1-1 rule.  The other problem lies in the shoe department, but this time, the shoes were easier to cram in than that little bag of liquids.  For those who are unfamiliar, the TSA allows each passenger to have one quart sized bag of liquids, each of which must be under 3.4 ounces each.  For women, you quickly realize how many products you use when you are trying to cram them all into a tiny clear bag.

Say Yes to Tomatoes Trouble-free Face Wash, decanted
shampoo/conditioner, Patricia Wexler Acne Spot
Treatment (tucked behind)
So, how do you decide?  If you're staying with a host, think about what's most likely already in their bathroom.  Most people have shampoo and conditioner.  I brought my shampoo because I know The Writer has some, but it's VO5, which irreparably damages my hair.

Think about what you can buy there.  When traveling to some locations, particularly internationally, it may be worth the $50/round trip to check a bag, rather than to find yourself running around a foreign country looking for body lotion.  However, when traveling domestically, chances are, you'll be able to find amenities when you get there and for less than $50.  I left my shower gel, body lotion, and shave cream at home.


Mary Kay Firming Eye Cream, Sephora Waterproof Makeup
Remover, Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer, Paul Mitchell
Hot Off the Press heat protectant spray, Say Yes to Tomatoes
Totally Tranquil Facial Lotion
Along the same lines, consider the cost of a product. For me, I knew I could find shower gel, but it would get costly if I picked up a whole can of heat protecting spray or glossing cream when I got there. Luckily, I found a travel size can of Hot of the Press at my salon this past weekend.  Specialty items will most likely need to be brought with you.  What made the cut for me: Paul Mitchell Hot of the Press, Sephora Waterproof Eye Make-up Remover, Mary Kay Eye Cream, Urban Decay Eyelid Primer, Fekkai Glossing Creme, Say Yes to Tomatoes Facial Wash and Lotion.

It definitely took some maneuvering and some trial-and-error before I got it all to fit.  I didn't worry about my mascara or hand sanitizer, since I've never had the TSA stop me for having these items loose in my bag.  I also luck out because I'm a Bare Minerals fan, so no liquid foundation to squeeze into the bag.

Once I arrived, I purchased shower gel and lotion, both at $2.99/piece, shave cream at $1.99, and a travel sized hairspray for $.99 for an overall total of less than $10, which means I saved $30-$40 that I could use for other fun things on my trip!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...